Monday, May 17, 2010

Finally a Graduate!

Wow, the past 48 hours have flown by in a flash! After 5 long years of writing papers, doing projects and cramming thousands upon thousands of facts in my brain, I finally graduated. Alright, I’ll admit it - I don’t actually have my diploma yet, just the case, but it’s still so hard to believe my educational career is at a close.

Harder still to believe that I am moved out of my apartment. I have spent over two years in that building - lots of laughs, lots of memories. I know I’ll be building new memories and have more laughs in my future, but change has always been hard for me. We as human beings are creatures of habit - we like our ruts, our patterns - familiarity is our friend. And though I have one job interview behind me and hopefully a couple more in my future, I do not have anything concrete laid out yet.

As I look to the future, I want to thank my parents for everything they have done. Without them and their support, none of this would be possible. They footed the bill for my tuition and rent, ensuring that I graduate college debt-free. They made sure I always had food in my fridge and a roof over my head. I may not always have the hottest items on the market, but I also do not go wanting. When I told them I wanted to enroll in a travel study course to Greece and Istanbul, they said yes and helped pay for it. They have sacrificed so much, given me so much, and without their continued love and support, I most likely would not be where I am today.

I’d like to offer one piece of advice to future graduates: try not to be afraid. Try not to be afraid of life, and of taking chances. Don’t let that uncertainty prevent you from enjoying life and living each day to its fullest. I didn’t fully grasp that concept until this past year, and I wish I had learned that lesson earlier. Now that I know what is out there, I plan on making time to live and experience new things. Once I have a job and some money saved up, I plan on conquering my fears and trying my hand at skydiving this summer. I know I will probably be terrified, but take it from me: it’s much scarier to live your life with regrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment