Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Making in Impact

A couple weeks ago I interviewed a couple well-known Sun Prairie residents, May Kay von Allman and Diana Konkle, about Xango and its new weight management program, Favao. The people on it have lost weight and felt better because the program focuses on cleansing the body, maintaining blood sugar levels and increasing metabolism. I’m not going to rehash the whole thing, but if you want to learn more, the stories can be found at:
http://www.sunprairiestar.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=10856&SectionID=4&SubSectionID=129&S=1
and
http://www.sunprairiestar.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=10857&SectionID=4&SubSectionID=129&S=1

At the end of the article I included the contact information for the two women. Now, whenever I write an article, I always try to be as thorough as possible and produce the best product possible. I hope that what I write has an impact on people, especially when I write on topics such as domestic abuse, eating disorders and child abuse. Unfortunately, I never really know how many people do read them, or if it had an impact.

Following the Xango articles, I received a call from Diana, informing me that Mary Kay and her had received a number of calls.

“That is the power of the written word,” she said.

Hearing that touched me and made me feel good, but the total impact was not made apparent until yesterday night.

Two weeks ago, about a couple dozen people showed up to the Xango presentation. When I went to last night’s presentation, I was floored. After a quick headcount, I realized that 60 people showed up. Not even the presenters were expecting that!

As I looked around the room, I couldn’t help but be amazed. Something I wrote impacted dozens of people, brought them there yesterday night. My friend Tom’s parents were two of those in attendance. I saw them after the presentation and they informed me that it was my article that prompted them to come.

Witnessing the flood of people that showed up, knowing that I played a part in bringing them there, makes me smile and makes everything I do – the long hours, the sleepless nights, the sacrifices – all worth it.

On a related note, I have also been changed. During the last meeting, the nutritionist said blood sugar levels are to blame for weight gain and struggles with weight loss. She did a demonstration and made it very clear how much sugar the average person consumes daily. To illustrate, the amount of sugar in a 20 oz. bottle of Pepsi, a bottle of apple juice, one Gatorade, two Poptarts and a Snickers totals approximately 50 teaspoons. The daily limit is 10 teaspoons for men and six for women.

With my job I worked such long hours that I could justify drinking two bottles of Mt. Dew a day (35 teaspoons of sugar!)

Now though, I have pledged to give up soda. That was three weeks ago today. Since then I have had just one glass of Mt. Dew, this past Saturday to celebrate my move to a new, bigger and better apartment. Yet I am not tired. I eat breakfast around 7 a.m., at 10 have a snack like string cheese. Lunch is around 12:30 and come 3 p.m. I have another snack, a bowl of fruit or an apple with peanut butter. Dinner might be a Lean Cuisine at 7. Whatever I eat though, I limit my sugar take. As a result, I feel awake throughout the day. I feel better and have lost a couple pounds.

I am planning on signing up for Favao soon, and have high hopes for weight loss.

As I begin my 12-week challenge I will update my blog weekly, chronicling my progress.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment