Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Lucky another year!

I know I know, it’s been forever again since my last update. I guess one of my New Year’s resolutions is going to have to be to post at least one blog posting a week.


On Friday, Dec. 16 the University of Wisconsin - Whitewater Warhawks challenged the Mount Union Raiders for the NCAA DIII National Football Championship title in the 39th Annual Amos Alonzo Stagg Bowl (I know, it’s a mouthful). This was the seventh consecutive year the two teams have faced off for the crown.


Once again, I signed up to travel on the fan bus to cheer my alma mater on. However, this year I had to do it silently as I actually had press credentials! Yah!


I’m not going to go into too much detail here - for the full story, click here - but covering the national title game (and Whitewater’s subsequent win - the third in a row) for my newspaper was amazing. I spent the entire first half of the game up in the press box. The second half, however, was spent, wait for it...on the sidelines taking photos. I was so close I could smell the sweat on those fit footballers.


Even though I couldn’t actually cheer on the home team...verbally...I was mentally sending them positive thoughts. Unlike previous years, it was a low-scoring game, which made it nervewracking to the very end. In spite of a late comeback by Mount Union, Whitewater managed to hold onto their lead and ended the game 13-10.


I am now four for four in Stagg Bowl appearances. Although Whitewater and Mount Union have faced off for the national football title every year since 2005, I have only signed up to go on the fan bus and watch the game in 2007, 2009, 2010 and 2011 - the same four years Whitewater has won. I know, I know, they have superior coaches, skill, talent and a lot of hard work - but I still maintain that maybe I bring just that little bit of extra luck that makes my alma mater the best in the nation for another year.


Next time: 2011 - a year in review

No comments:

Post a Comment