Monday, June 30, 2014

Departing for Mt. Kilimanjaro!!!!


OK, so for those following my blog, I am going to have to fill you in about our visit to an Arusha birthing clinic another day. It is 1:45 in the morning and I have to be up at 6 a.m. to get ready to climb Mt. Klimanjaro. That is right, the day has finally come. My bag is packed, I have everything the porters will need to carry. I am going to conquer the Roof of Africa!

I am very excited and nervous. I have told myself that unless I get very severe altitude sickness, I am going to the top. I will push through physical pain. It looks like we will have about 7 or 8 hours of hiking a day. If all goes well, it will be 5.5 days up, and 1.5 day down. Ryan and Jim Mayfield made it, and I feel that I am in very good shape, so I am hopeful that I will make it. Altitude sickness will be the only thing. We do not have much time to acclimate to the altitude, so it is possible I make get sick. If it is just the regular nauseau and muscle pain, I will make it through it. But I will have to watch for more severe symptoms. Making it to the top is not worth my health or life. 
I'm also going to have to watch out for my noggin. While getting in the van today, I stepped up fast, and since I was not quite all the way in, I hit my head with a resounding SMACK on the top of the door, and my neck snapped back. I have a pretty nice bump on the top of my head and would not be surprised if I had a concussion or whiplash. 

The dedicated climbers, with personal trainer Derek.
Thankfully I was in the company of oh, four or five nurses on our team (did I mention this was a medical mission?) and Karen Klemp managed to get me two small bags of ice for my neck and head. I did rest for a couple hours in the afternoon, and Amy Martin recommended taking ibuprofen. Although I still have the bump on my head, I am feeling much better. I think as long as I keep my neck and shoulders straight and avoid bumping my head, I should be fine, but I will keep an eye on it, and I am sure my medical friends will too. (:

I have received amazing support for this climb. Some of my fellow Edgerton Rotarians have sponsored my climb, as well as my boss, Diane Everson, and I am so grateful for all of the support. Every cent will go to the first Hope 2 Others Medical Center to give mothers and babies in Tanzania a fighting chance at life. 

I am not sure if there will be internet or any service on the mountain. If there is, I may be able to upload some photos, or at least share some status updates on Facebook. If not...well, then I guess you will not hear from me again until July 8. 

Please, everyone keep me in your thoughts and prayers. Pray that our team makes it to the top. Pray that if someone does get sick, God will protect them and keep them from harm. Pray that we will use this amazing climb to benefit mothers and babies in Tanzania, and that more people will come to know God and our mission. But most of all, pray that no matter how we do, or how high we make it, we will all return safely to the bottom. Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment