Monday, July 7, 2014

The Mt. Kilimanjaro Diaries. Day 1: The Adventure Begins


Note: The Hope 2 Others climb up Mt. Kilimanjaro took place from July 1-7, 2014.


Welcome to Day 1 of our ascent up Mt. Kilimanjaro. Our day got off to a fun start from the moment we got off the bus. Our guides and porters were waiting for us and greeted us with song and dance. It was pretty much the best thing ever. Don’t believe me? Check out the clip at the bottom and see for yourself.

It was about an hour and a half drive from Arusha to the gate of Mt. Kilimanjaro. We had a little waiting to do, but were amused when we spotted some monkeys. We were told to put the lunches we were given away. One guy from another team must not have been listening because his sandwich and juice box got monkey’d away. 

It seemed like a land untouched by time, ethereal and mysterious
If anyone wants to see Mt. Kilimanjaro but not go all the way, I would recommend a day trip. Our first day was AMAZING. There were trees everywhere, tall trees, big trees, trees covered in moss. I was absolutely lost in the beauty of it all. And with the fog setting in, it just gave what seemed like a never-ending forest a beautiful and mysterious atmosphere. It was ethereal in its mystery, like this forest was untouched by time and we were the first explorers to glimpse its natural beauty. With every step, I became more and more enraptured. When we finally arrived at the first camp six hours later, I was disappointed that we were leaving the most heavenly haven I have had the pleasure of visiting.

Upon arriving at the first camp, we were greeted with song and dance from our porters and guides. I know I am going to love this. The excitement is so infectious, I just know this is going to be a great time. Some of the other campers were staring as we were all singing and dancing. I am preeeeety sure they were just jealous that we have the best group. (:

It sounds like tomorrow will be another long day, but I can hardly wait.





No comments:

Post a Comment